I guess that is something I didn't develop growing up with the military. When you move every 1-3 years it's hard to become attached to anything... because you know you'll just have to leave it behind.
The only exception to this was my grandparent's place. They lived in a small town in Oklahoma and I LOVED their house despite the frigid floors in the winter and the crazy woman who lived next door. But then even they moved my freshman year of high school.
I was devestated, because up until that point in time if someone had asked where I was from I said Oklahoma. But their new house wasn't my home. So now, ironically, if someone asks where my home is I say Kodiak, Alaska. It's where we were living when I lost my 'home' and Kodiak seemed, to me, to foster that feeling of family. Of everyone knowing everyone and, by the way did you know this about such and such.
I don't really know many people in Kodiak anymore. Sure, Senior Cindy is still there and some other kids I went to school with are still on the island but I've lost touch... and I hate that. Because on days like today when it just really gets stuck in me that "I want to go home!" I picture a little kitchen with poofy curtains that mom and I stuffed with crumpled newspapers. Fresh baked bread tempting our senses and begging us to knock on the neighbors door. The uber-ruberized stairs squeeking under dock shoes, ever ready for the winter slush. And the people, those people who won't leave you alone because you're a part of the whole. God bless them.
I know I usually say Alaska is a great place to visit, but maybe not to live.... but I sure wish I could visit more often!
Here is my 'home':













No comments:
Post a Comment